Wednesday, January 5, 2011

DayZeroProject


Hello everyone and – although you’re all probably quite tired of hearing it - a late happy new year from the both of us!

I bet all of you have fancy stories to tell, as NYE is always quite exciting. I for example, unlike Griffith, celebrated New Year in France this year! Sounds rather awesome, doesn’t it? Well, it was.. unless you take in account the fact while Griffith was comfortably at home, sleeping late and recovering from the night before, I jumped into the sea the day after! Bloody hell, that was incredibly cold! Brr.. I’ll never be doing that again!
But fortunately, by doing that, I can now proudly say I’ve accomplished yet another of my 101 goals for the DayZeroProject. Woohoo, me!

If you haven’t heard of the DayZeroProject, it’s a project quite popular under bloggers, but other people as well, in which you have to make a list of 101 goals you want to accomplish in 1001 days (for the non-mathematicians among us, or those that prefer me to do all the counting for you, that’s about 2.75 years). Quite a long term project, yes, but it’s very motivating to do those little things which make you enjoy life, but you’ve never quite realised were important. In the beginning, when compiling the list, you’re probably going to come up with lots of heavy and difficult stuff such as ‘graduate’, ‘write a book’ or ‘move to Japan’, but you can’t possibly keep coming up with 101 of those examples. Silly little things such as climb a tree, only use your bicycle to travel for a week or walking along the beach during sunset are equally important.  Another popular goal is becoming a vegetarian for a month, or keeping your room clean for three months. Yes, it requires some persistence from you, but it also leaves you with a good feeling about yourself and it may actually become a habit! Being a vegetarian that is of course, not keeping your room clean. ;D

Yes, some of these are really hard to do, but it’s not a shame if you fail. If you’ve completed only 80% of your goals, that’s still good! Of course some goals, the little things, are really easy to do. Shooting with a bow and arrow, for example. It’s not something you would easily decide to do on a free afternoon, but if it’s on the list, you’re encouraged to. Because there’s a reason why you’re doing it, and you actually feel good after spending an afternoon at doing something you like.

The point is, this project stimulates you to think of things you’ve always wanted to do – may they be life-changing or just little – and, because of the limited time limit, stimulates you to do them as well! Two and a three quarters of a year is quite a long time, long enough not to completely have to change your lifestyle and dedicate it to accomplishing a goal like as ‘write a book’, but short enough to be encouraging to actually start it. You can’t put it off for too long, you’ll have to finish it within 1001 days!

Like me, Griffith has a list of goals as well, but it’s quite different from mine. One of my goals was actually to convince three other people to participate in the DayZeroProject, and she was one of my victims ;)

If you’ve been convinced to participate and make some goals of your own, which we really urge you to do because it’s quite awesome, you  can check out this site. Unfortunately, the site isn’t in the air at the moment, but be sure we’ll leave you a notice when it is. In the meantime, don’t be afraid to comment us what goals you’d want to achieve if you had 1001 days time.


However, it's incredibly hard to come up with interesting, realistic but challenging goals the rest of the world hasn't thought of yet. That's why we want you to comment the goal you look forward to completing most, or - if you've already completed your goals - the goal that you enjoyed doing most. I'm really interesting to find out how creative you all can be!

Signed,
Torino&Griffith.

19 comments:

  1. I've had my list since August - the one thing I'm most terrified about and also excited for is skydiving. There's a skydiving groupon this weekend for my area. I'm trying to convince myself to buy it. :)

    I'm also pretty proud that instead of making a journal to document my list - my boyfriend and I created http://riotousliving.com to document it. It's one of the coolest things I've ever done, try to make a blog interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Love this post. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for commenting on my "Day Zero" list at ChinDeep.com!

    Best,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support @ my blog. I think I love this project the most because so many others are doing their own thing and it's fun to read and ponder the idea you're not alone with your list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog! The goal I look forward to the most right now is to do something nice for someone without telling them.

    I think this one is gonna be a challenge for me, since I find it really difficult to keep my mouth shut sometimes, and it's gonna be hard to find out what someone really wants or needs without asking them directly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your Day Zero Project, and thank you for the comment on my blog.

    I've started in August, and in October I posted a brief overview of what I had done: http://phdtalk.blogspot.com/2010/10/day-zero-project.html

    I have goals in there going from "get the discount card of the local supermarket" to "decide in which country my boyfriend and I will live". For the next few months, I've already reserved some Saturdays to put some of my goals into action (like visiting the Keukenhof Gardens).

    My most interesting and difficult for me goal is the "find a work-life balance" goal. I am still trying out different things, still trying to see how I can improve so that goal will be with me probably for the entire course of my Day Zero Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ik zag je post net op mijn crea blog. Kijk maar eens op http://puur.skynetblogs.be dat is mijn andere blog waarop ik over de 101 doelen blog. Wat me eraan doet denken, dat het dringend tijd is voor een update!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mijn leukste doel voor mezelf is mama worden. We willen er graag over een half jaartje aan beginnen.
    En verder de massages laten doen, daar kan ik zo van genieten!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started with my list last month. I haven't finished it yet, maybe that should be one of the goals on my list!

    The goals that I look most forward to are visit Paris, London, Vienna and get a fulltime job.

    I like to have some goals that I am terrified about: getting my first kiss and go to a club (yeah, I am a nerd). Have some easy things on my list such as watch 150 movies in one year and things that aqquire a lot of money. Traveling, courses, getting my drivers license. This way I will always have something to do for my list and I will never get bored!

    Have fun with your list. Here is mine:
    http://kimberleyborsboom.wordpress.com/day-zero-project/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the visit! I think you broke down the purpose and thought process behind the 101 in 1001 list very well! It was a lot harder to put together than I thought it would be, but once my list was completed, now I can't wait to devote some time to each item. My unique goals mostly involve my horses :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comment!
    Not that it's unique, but the goal I'm most looking forward to is traveling since I haven't yet. I'm most nervous about writing a letter to my closest friends telling them how I feel about them - an open book I am not.
    I think it's such an awesome project and it makes goals tangible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my dearest friends convinced me to sing up! I'm very fond of list-making and crossing off to-dos, so this was right up my alley. One of the goals I'm really looking forward to achieving is taking the train from Colorado to Nevada to visit my parents in Reno. Everyone is so fixated on getting from here to there as quickly as possible that the prospect of taking a 17-20 hour train ride when you could take a 2 hour flight seems unheard of. But I'm stoked. The best part, I think my dear friend (yes, the same one) is going to join me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting my blog! I still don't have a full 101 things on my list yet, but I am going to check out some of these other blogs for a little inspiration. Some of the interesting things (or looking forward to) is attending Oktoberfest in Helen, GA; Paying for someone in line behind me (maybe at a toll or a few items at the grocery store); Attend a film festival; and try every specialty drink on the Starbucks menu.
    http://mydayzerochallenge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Started my list on January 2nd, and so far it's going very well :-) http://101.viktbloggerskan.se

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :) I'm having a great time doing the things on my list, and it's a fantastic reminder of the many things I want to do!! Everyone should sign up for a Day Zero Project. :)

    Holly
    www.hollyatnaptime.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for visiting my blog! Day Zero is definitely one of my favorite projects. I started my list on New Year's, and the goal I'm most looking forward to is watching the sun rise over the Atlantic and set over the Pacific in the same day. :)
    Good luck with y'all's lists!

    - Nicole
    http://rockstarmommys101.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thnx for visiting our blog.
    The thing i like is that my boyfriend and i are in the dzp together. We made one list for the two of us.

    www.bonske.nl

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! Good luck with your Day Zero project.

    I haven't done any of the things on my list yet, only just started too! But Im looking forward to the childish ones, like building something out of lego and watching disney movies for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the blog love. I'm having fun with the Day Zero Project so far, I've been doing it since April, and have crossed a number of things off so far.

    The most exciting and interesting items for me are buying a house, and getting engaged (listed as secret on my blog so the boyfriend doesn't see, haha)

    dendeltechnologyed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete